Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Materials Wednesday Can I/Can you?

I have a student who has been struggling with asking questions in the classroom.  According to his teacher, he will roll on the floor saying, "I'm SO thirsty!"  When the teacher asks if he has a question for her, he will say "no". This can go on for 45 minutes, and usually results in the student being very frustrated, and possibly breaking down.

Well, you can imagine that when the teacher brought the concern to my attention, I immediately knew what my lesson plan for the next week would be: forming questions and talking about when to ask.  To be honest, I'm not quite sure where the breakdown is occurring: I've heard him formulate questions ("Can I ask you/tell you something?"), so it might be that he either isn't used to asking permission for things or that he isn't fully understanding when an appropriate time to do so is. 

So I created this quick activity to work on formulating the Can I/ Can you question structure.  The game is leveled in the following way:
 

 
The first level is fixing the question: a question is provided that is grammatically incorrect, and the student is asked to correct it.

Level two asks the student to turn a statement into a question. 


Level 3 provides the student with a very short scenario and has them practice asking a question:

 I also have question starter strips to help those who might need the visual reminder.




It's pretty straightforward, but I hope it will help.  At the end of the game, the students count up the number of eyes they have gotten on their monsters.  The person with the most eyes is the winner!

You can find it on my TpT store.



No comments:

Post a Comment