Sunday, January 13, 2013

A plea for School Counselors

 Sign the petition to mandate School Counselors for Grades K-12. Please. In a society where we place a high priority on success after high school, many schools are taking away the people that make that possible, or at the very least, significantly overworking them.  School counselors are not only responsible for helping students get into college, but also teach students how to cope with life issues, provide mental health support, and even do the scheduling. They are imperative & unprotected.
OK, I know this isn't about Speech directly.  But, at the middle school and high school level, I know many of us work closely with our school counselors.  To boot, I have a personal investment in this, as my husband is starting a program later this month to get his school counselor certification (he's already a counselor).

As speech language pathologists, we are a legally required service, thanks largely in part to IEPs, which basically protect our jobs. If an IEP says speech is required, then a speech pathologist must be available to provide services. In my state, my caseload is capped, which further protects me.

School counselors have a number of responsibilities. Yes, they are the people that schedule students and figure out how a student can stay in band while taking AP Physics, Math III AND getting a PE requirement met.  They help the students figure out what comes after high school. They are the people that get transcripts in line for college applications, call in favors at local colleges, and find scholarships to make college more affordable. They are also the people that provide functional life skills to our students: teaching coping skills, how to write a resume, and the realities of things like what should be seen on a social media site. And they are crisis counselors who put out fires all day, and take care of those students that don't have IEP services who might struggle with issues at school or home that are temporary or recurring.  And they are a part of the teams that identify struggling students and place supports for them.  I'm sure I'm missing more of their job description, because it can vary between states and even districts.

There are 26 states that do not mandate counselors in the schools. This from a nation where every time there is a school shooting, we wonder why people "missed the signs". This from a nation that puts such a huge emphasis on College & Career Readiness Standards that 45 states/territories have adopted new standards to meet those goals. Yet we are not mandating staff members that are imperative in meeting these goals.

My state has "suggested" student caps.  One high school counselor that my husband & I spoke with prior to him applying to his program is responsible for 400 students. He feels lucky in his school, but he's worried that when a coworker retires in a few years, they won't replace her, they will just shift to him, which could give him a caseload of 1000 students.  With 400 students, he feels like he just gets it done (coming in early and leaving about 45 minutes after his contract day ends).  I know we all put in extra hours, but I also know that school counselors help make my job better, too.

Please take a moment (and really, that's all it takes!) to sign this petition by Monday, January 14th.

1 comment:

  1. I hate I missed this post before today! I just found your site. I was a certified school counselor in an elementary school before going back to graduate school and becoming a speech pathologist. Everything you wrote above is indicative of the frustrations I experienced as a counselor that drove me to find another career where I help children but am valued more. Good luck to your husband and I will always support those in this crucial position. Thank you for being a voice for the counselors as well as one for SLPs!

    ReplyDelete